Schedule Of Classes
Walk This Way offers Level 1 & Level 2 Obedience Training, AKC CGC Certification, & Behavior Seminars. Classes are small and time is set aside at the beginning of every session to answer specific questions from each client. Email us if you'd like to observe a class.
168 7th Street between 2nd & 3rd Avenues in Park Slope
• Puppy Parties - 7pm-9pm on the first Friday of every month/$20 - The Brooklyn Dog Training Center hosts monthly puppy parties for pups under six months of age (and their humans). We believe that puppies need socialization as well as training, and that's what these parties are for. Bring some wine, beer, or soda (it IS a party) and watch your puppy frolic. Parties will be supervised by Renee or Sarah from the BDTC. Pre-registration through the BDTC site is required. Click here to reserve your space. Check us out on NBC's Today Show.
• Level 1 Training Classes for puppies & adults - 1 hour per week for 4 weeks/$180 -These classes cover basic commands (sit, down, stay, leave it, drop it, come) as well as addressing good doggie manners (mouthing, chewing, jumping, barking, housetraining). The curriculum is the same for both the puppy and adult classes. Puppy class is for dogs under six months of age & adult class is for dogs over six months of age; the first class is an orientation but dogs DO attend with you. Age-appropriate / size-appropriate social time is set aside during each class.
• Level 2 Training Classes - 1 hour per week for 4 weeks/$180 - This course takes what your dog learned in the Level 1 class and builds on that knowledge. We work to proof the stay and coming when called commands around distraction, teach your dog to do the sit/down/stay commands from a distance, make sure he’s listening to you even when he’s not looking in your direction, and stop a running dog in his tracks.
• Nose Work Seminars and Classes - Nose work is one of the fastest growing canine sports around! We teach them to find hidden treats, find your car keys in the midst of other sets of keys, learn the names of toys, search the ground and the air for scents, and differentiate between smells. This is something you can do at home once you learn how. It's mentally stimulating, builds confidence, is REALLY fun for everyone, and (this is good for the humans) exhausting for the dogs! -- these seminars fill quickly, so sign up early
• Teaching Your Old(er) Dog New Tricks Class - 1 hour per week for 4 weeks/$180 - Sometimes once a dog has learned the basics and retired from the dog park, we don't give them enough to do. This course was designed to keep aging dogs vibrant and cognitively sharp. We'll combine a few fun tricks with a bit of nose work, add in a sprinkle of reminders about basic training that might have gotten rusty, and give those couch potatoes something to think about! While created with dogs over the age of ten in mind, this is open to any dog over seven years of age.
• Come and Play (for puppies!) Seminar - 1 hour/$30 - Designed for puppies under six months of age, this seminar combines social time with working on establishing a reliable recall in your little one.
•New Baby Seminar - (for humans only - no dogs) Planning on starting a family? Concerned about your dog's reaction to a new baby in the house? We'll teach you how to prepare Fido for the baby's arrival, make the change in his life as smooth as possible, and offer tips on how to keep the peace once your baby starts to move around.
• Leash Aggression / Leash Reactive Workshop - Is your dog GREAT at the dog run and doggie daycare but a bit hard to handle when he/she sees another dog on leash? This seminar is appropriate for dogs who are aggressive or just overly-excited -- the approach is the same.
• Wheel Aggression Workshop - Are skateboard, rollerblades, & granny carts your dog's enemy? We have all of those things. Bring your dog and your bag of chicken and come on down.
• **Leash Walking Seminar - 1 hour/$45 - Do you want your dog to be more interested in YOU when you're out for a walk, walk politely on a loose leash, heel (!) and deal with distractions?
**A portion of this class does take place outside, so dress appropriately!
• That's Mine! Workshop - 2 weeks/$90 - Does your dog pick up every chicken bone on the street? Does he attempt to guard these found treasures (or his own toys or bones) when you try and take them away? This seminar will help establish a reliable “drop it” and work to lesson your dog’s anxiety about you coming near his possessions.
• Separation Anxiety Seminar - 1 hour/$45 - (for humans only - no dogs) Can't leave the house without your dog barking, destroying things or eliminating? Can't tie him up outside a café and run in for a coffee?
• Fear Aggression Seminar - 1 hour/$45 - (for humans only - no dogs) Does your dog do his best to scare off visitors? Neighbors in the hallway? Does a friendly approach from a stranger send him into a panic?
• Trick Seminar - Make your dog into the life of the party with NINE cool tricks! (The dogs must know how to do a "down" in order to complete all nine tasks.)
• CGC Testing - 1 hour/$45 - Get your dog AKC certified as a Canine Good Citizen! The test takes a few minutes, and the requirements can be seen here. The one hour seminars are JUST the test with a short refresher. The workshop is a prep class in the first week, then a refresher and the big test the following week.
• "Just for Little Dogs" Seminar - 1 hour/$45 - (for humans only - no dogs) Small dogs experience the world from a whole different level, and this seminar addresses the problems and concerns of the "under 20 pound" crowd. Learn about leash aggression, dog run safety, basic house rules, and all of the special issues that small dogs and their humans face.
• Shy Dog Social Hour - 1 hour/$45 - Designed for adult dogs in need of a little socialization with other dogs. This seminar is NOT for dogs who are actively aggressive to other dogs. We're looking for the little wallflowers. If you aren't sure if your dog would fit, please call or email us to ask.
• Recall Workshop - 2 weeks/$90 - This seminar is designed to establish a reliable recall in your pooch. Dogs attending must be social (or at least passive) with other dogs.
• New Dog Seminar - 30 minutes/$30 -Got a new dog or puppy? Not quite sure what you've gotten yourself into? Or are you planning on getting a new dog and want to be fully prepared BEFORE Fido arrives? Learn about house training (to crate or not to crate), what supplies you need, what dog books to read (and what not to read), canine health information, how to prevent certain behavior problems before they start and much much more!
• Fetch! Seminar - 1 hour/$45 - Have you become an expert at throwing the ball and then running to retrieve it? Would you prefer the dog do it for you? Come on down!
• Housetraining 101 - 30 minutes/$30 - Whether you have a new puppy or a hard to train adult, this seminar covers all of the housetraining bases, from wee wee pads to transitioning to outside.
197 Adelphi Street between Myrtle Avenue & Willoughby Avenue in Fort Greene, Brooklyn
• Level 1 Training for puppies & adults - $180 - 1 hour per week for 4 weeks - These classes cover basic commands (sit, down, stay, leave it, drop it, come) as well as addressing good doggie manners (mouthing, chewing, jumping, barking, housetraining). The curriculum is the same for both puppies and adults.
• Level 2 Training - $180 - 1 hour per week for 4 weeks - This course takes what your dog learned in the Level 1 class and builds on that knowledge. We work to proof the stay and coming when called commands around distraction, teach your dog to do the sit/down/stay commands from a distance, make sure he’s listening to you even when he’s not looking in your direction, and stop a running dog in his tracks.
Click here for class and seminar registration forms.
We encourage everyone in the family who deals with the dog to attend training classes together if possible. Children MUST be over the age of five, and we welcome them!
We require proof that your puppy or adult dog is current on his or her distemper & parvo vaccines -- and the rabies vaccine if your dog is over six months of age. Puppies do not have to be fully vaccinated, but they do need to be up to date with their boosters. Please consult with your veterinarian before signing up for a class.
© 1999-present WALK THIS WAY Canine Behavior Therapy. All rights reserved. Site Design by ADT